This filing was published in the 01/15/2008, issue, Vol. 2008, No. 2, of the Utah State Bulletin.
Workforce Services, Employment Development
Assistance for Specified Relatives
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE
DAR File No.: 30864
Filed: 12/27/2007, 03:43
Received by: NL
Purpose of the rule or reason for the change:
The purpose of this amendment is to allow former stepparents to be specified relatives.
Summary of the rule or change:
Former stepparents can act as specified relatives and are often a suitable placement for children. This rule change will allow them to act as specified relatives.
State statutory or constitutional authorization for this rule:
Section 35A-1-104 and Subsections 35A-1-104(4) and 35A-3-302(5)(b)
Anticipated cost or savings to:
the state budget:
This is a federally-funded program so there are no costs or savings to the state budget.
This is a federally-funded state program and there are no costs or savings to local governments.
small businesses and persons other than businesses:
This is a federally-funded state program and there are no costs or savings to small businesses or other persons.
Compliance costs for affected persons:
There are no compliance costs for specified relatives, who are the only persons who will be affected by this change.
Comments by the department head on the fiscal impact the rule may have on businesses:
There are no compliance costs associated with this change. There are no fees associated with this change. There will be no cost to anyone to comply with these changes. There will be no fiscal impact on any business. Kristen Cox, Executive Director
The full text of this rule may be inspected, during regular business hours, at the Division of Administrative Rules, or at:Workforce Services
140 E 300 S
SALT LAKE CITY UT 84111-2333
Direct questions regarding this rule to:
Suzan Pixton at the above address, by phone at 801-526-9645, by FAX at 801-526-9211, or by Internet E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested persons may present their views on this rule by submitting written comments to the address above no later than 5:00 p.m. on:
This rule may become effective on:
Kristen Cox, Executive Director
R986. Workforce Services, Employment Development.
R986-200. Family Employment Program.
R986-200-214. Assistance for Specified Relatives.
(1) Specified relatives include:
(b) brothers and sisters;
(c) stepbrothers and stepsisters;
(d) aunts and uncles;
(e) first cousins;
(f) first cousins once removed;
(g) nephews and nieces;
(h) people of prior generations as designated by the prefix grand, great, great-great, or great- great-great;
(i) brothers and sisters by legal adoption;
(j) the spouse of any person listed above;
(k) the former spouse of any person listed
(l) individuals who can prove they met one of the above mentioned relationships via a blood relationship even though the legal relationship has been terminated
(2) The Department shall require compliance with Section 30-1-4.5
(3) A specified relative may apply for financial assistance for the child. If the child is otherwise eligible, the FEP rules apply with the following exceptions:
(a) The child must have a blood or a legal relationship to the specified relative even if the legal relationship has been terminated,
(b) Both parents must be absent from the home where the child lives. This is true even for a parent who has had his or her parental rights terminated;
(c) The child must be currently living with, and not just visiting, the specified relative;
(d) The parents' obligation to financially support their child will be enforced and the specified relative must cooperate with child support enforcement; and
(e) If the parent(s) state they are willing to support the child if the child would return to live with the parent(s), the child is ineligible unless there is a court order removing the child from the parent(s)' home.
(4) If the specified relative is currently receiving FEP or FEPTP, the child must be included in that household assistance unit.
(5) The income and resources of the specified relative are not counted unless the specified relative requests inclusion in the household assistance unit.
(6) If the specified relative is not currently receiving FEP or FEPTP, and the specified relative does not want to be included in the financial assistance payment, the specified relative shall be paid, on behalf of the child, the full standard financial assistance payment for one person. The size of the financial assistance payment shall be increased accordingly for each additional eligible child in the household assistance unit excluding the dependent child(ren) of the specified relative. Since the specified relative is not included in the household assistance unit, the income and assets of the specified relative, or the relative's spouse, are not counted.
(7) The specified relative may request to be included in the household assistance unit. If the specified relative is included in the household assistance unit, the household must meet all FEP eligibility requirements including participation requirements and asset limits.
(8) Income eligibility for a specified relative who wants to be included in the household assistance unit is calculated according to R986-200-241.
KEY: family employment program
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive
October 25, 2007]
Notice of Continuation: September 14, 2005
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: 35A-3-301 et seq.
Text to be deleted is struck through and surrounded by brackets (e.g., [
example]). Text to be added is underlined (e.g., ). Older browsers may not depict some or any of these attributes on the screen or when the document is printed.
For questions regarding the content or application of this rule, please contact Suzan Pixton at the above address, by phone at 801-526-9645, by FAX at 801-526-9211, or by Internet E-mail at email@example.com
For questions about the rulemaking process, please contact the Division of Administrative Rules (801-538-3764). Please Note: The Division of Administrative Rules is NOT able to answer questions about the content or application of these administrative rules.
Last modified: 01/14/2008 8:11 PM