Utah Department of Administrative Services Division of Administrative Rules

Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since May 1, 2016, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R277. Education, Administration.

Rule R277-505. Administrative License Areas of Concentration and Programs.

As in effect on May 1, 2016

Table of Contents

R277-505-1. Definitions.

A. "Acceptable professional experience" means successful, full-time experience in public or accredited private or parochial schools in an area for which certification is required for employment in the public schools.

B. "Administrative license area of concentration" means the initial credential issued by the Board which permits the holder to be employed in a position which requires administration or supervision of elementary, middle, or secondary levels within the public education system.

C. "Board" means the Utah State Board of Education.

D. "District-specific educator license with an administrative license area of concentration" means an area of concentration awarded by a school district or charter school to an administrator following verification of criteria consistent with this rule.

E. "Internship" means an on-site supervised experience in an accredited public or private school or other approved location.

F. "Level 2 license" means a Utah professional educator license issued after satisfaction of all requirements for a Level 1 license and:

(1) requirements established by law or rule;

(2) three years of successful education experience within a five-year period in a Utah public or accredited private school; and

(3) satisfaction of requirements under R277-522 for teachers whose employment as a Level 1 licensed educator began after January 1, 2003 in a Utah public or accredited private school.

G. "Level 3 license" means a Utah professional educator license issued to an educator who holds a current Utah Level 2 license and has also received, in the educator's field of practice, National Board certification or a doctorate from an accredited institution.

H. "Outstanding professional qualifications" means a person who has completed a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education and who has demonstrated successful managerial experience in business, government, or similar setting.

I. "USOE" means the Utah State Office of Education.

R277-505-2. Authority and Purpose.

A. This rule is authorized under Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3 which vests general control and supervision of public education in the Board, Sections 53A-6-101(1) and (2) which permit the Board to issue certificates for educators, and Section 53A-1-401(3) which allows the Board to adopt rules in accordance with its responsibilities.

B. The purpose of this rule is to:

(1) specify the requirements for Administrative license areas of concentration, including meaningful internships; and

(2) provide standards and procedures for district-specific and charter school-specific Administrative license areas of concentration.

R277-505-3. Administrative License Area of Concentration Positions.

A. Local boards and charter schools shall determine, consistent with Sections 53A-3-301(4), 53A-6-104.5, 53A-6-110, and this rule, required licenses or letters of authorization for administrators working in various positions and settings.

B. Local boards and charter schools shall, by board policy determined in an open meeting, notify the public of required licenses or credentials for administrators in their schools.

C. Local boards and charter schools that have designated appropriate administrative requirements consistent with the law and this rule shall receive professional staff costs only for administrators licensed consistent with the policies and this rule.

D. Administrative interns currently registered for academic credit in an institution of higher education for the internship are not required to hold an Administrative license area of concentration but shall hold a Level 2 or Level 3 license.

E. The Board strongly recommends that all educators who supervise educators complete Administrative license areas of concentration programs and participate in ongoing professional development.

R277-505-4. Administrative License Area of Concentration Requirements.

A. An applicant for the Administrative license area of concentration shall have successfully completed or received all of the following:

(1) a Level 2 teaching license or equivalent from another state with area of concentration;

(2) a master's degree or more advanced degree;

(3) an education administrative program; and

(4) a Board-approved administrative test;

(5) Exceptions may be made to R277-505-4A(1)(2) or (3) by the USOE for exceptional professional experience, exceptional education accomplishments, or other noteworthy experiences or circumstances.

(6) not fewer than three years of acceptable full-time professional experience in an education-related area in a public or accredited private or parochial school. Appropriate experiences that may be substituted for up to one-half of this requirement include:

(a) alternative school or similar type professional experience;

(b) community college, trade-technical college, or other post-secondary professional experience;

(c) district-level administrative experience;

(d) headstart or preschool professional experience;

(e) college of education or state education agency professional experience; or

(f) professional experience in academic departments of colleges or universities if there has been sufficient involvement with public school programs and curriculum.

(7) a recommendation from a Utah institution whose program of preparation has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).

B. In addition to R277-505-4A, above, an applicant for the Administrative license area of concentration shall successfully complete an administrative internship. The internship shall:

(1) consist of a minimum of 450 hours of supervised clinical experiences, excluding additional hours required by a university for seminars or discussion sessions within the required hours.

(2) include a minimum of 200 of the required hours in a school setting which offers the opportunity of working with a properly licensed principal, students, faculty, classified employees, parents and patrons.

(3) include the remainder of the required internship hours in school district offices, the USOE or other USOE-approved and appropriate agencies or school settings.

(4) include the majority of the school-level supervised experience during the regular school day in concentrated blocks of a minimum of three hours each when students are present.

(5) presume interns' involvement in extracurricular activities.

(6) include experiences at both elementary and secondary school levels.

(7) have clinical experience in a different school than where the intern may be employed as a teacher.

(8) provide opportunities for the intern to demonstrate application of knowledge and skills gained through the higher education experience in school settings, including the opportunity to:

(a) understand the school community;

(b) understand the school culture and its importance to the student;

(c) experience managing a safe, efficient learning environment;

(d) collaborate with families of diverse students;

(e) support ethics and fairness in the school setting; and

(f) participate in the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural school context.

C. In the first year of employment as an administrator, an applicant for the Administrative license area of concentration shall complete a one school year mentoring experience established and supervised by the employing school district or charter school that includes criteria identified in R277-522-3A and B, as applied to administrators.

D. Relicensure and professional development requirements for active and non-practicing administrators shall include:

(1) for active administrators, at least 75 of the required 200 points shall focus on leadership issues to ensure that:

(a) administrators have current and effective knowledge and skills;

(b) administrators understand and can demonstrate employee corrective action directives;

(c) administrators are working to improve student achievement, teacher effectiveness and teacher retention skills; and

(d) administrators are using student data to assess student learning.

(2) for non-practicing administrators, at least 100 points of the required 200 points shall be related to school administration.

R277-505-5. District-Specific and Charter School-Specific Administrator Standards.

A. A local school board may request a district-specific educator license and Administrative license area of concentration permitting a person with outstanding professional qualifications to serve in a position for which that license or area of concentration is required, including all areas listed in R277-505-4.

B. In order to receive an educator license in a district-specific Administrative license area of concentration, a district shall make a request using a USOE-approved form.

C. The candidate shall:

(1) hold a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher education.

(2) have a record of documented, demonstrated success in a managerial role.

(3) take a USOE-approved school leadership test which shall be used to inform and guide continuing professional development; and

(4) complete a one-year supervised administrative experience under the supervision of a licensed and trained administrative mentor assigned by the employing school district or charter school. The candidate shall be issued a letter of authorization by the USOE during the year of supervision.

D. At the end of the supervised year, the employing district or charter school shall request that a district or charter school-specific Administrative license area of concentration be awarded by the USOE.

E. The district-specific Administrative license area of concentration shall be valid only in the employing district/charter school for the duration of the individual's employment.

F. The completed Administrative license area of concentration shall qualify the school district or charter school to receive professional staff costs.

G. The USOE may receive and investigate, or both, complaints about district-specific or charter school-specific administrators. Investigations shall be conducted by the Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission and action may be taken consistent with Section 53A-6-405, Denial of license, and Section 53A-6-501, Disciplinary action against educator.

H. Individuals who receive district-specific or charter school-specific administrative license areas of concentration shall be subject to professional development requirements established by local boards or charter schools.

R277-505-6. Reciprocity for Administrative Credentials.

A. An applicant for a Utah administrative area of concentration shall submit documentation of successful completion of an administrative program that meets Utah administrative requirements of R277-505-4.

B. The requirements of R277-505-4 may be satisfied, at the discretion of the USOE, by administrative experience in another state.

C. The USOE may require out-of-state applicants to pass a state-approved administrative test, if such a test is required of in-state applicants.


professional competency, teacher certification, accreditation

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

August 9, 2010

Notice of Continuation

March 30, 2016

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law

Art X Sec 3; 53A-6-101(1); 53A-6-101(2); 53A-1-401(3)

Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.