Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since April 1, 2016, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-915. Work-based Learning Programs for Interns.
As in effect on April 1, 2016
Table of Contents
- R277-915-1. Definitions.
- R277-915-2. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-915-3. Mandatory LEA Policy.
- R277-915-4. Consistency with Law and State and LEA Board Rules and Policies.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
A. "Board" means Utah State Board of Education.
B. "Intern" means a student enrolled in a school-sponsored work experience and career exploration program under Section 53A-29-102 involving both classroom instruction and work experience with a cooperating employer, for which the student receives no compensation.
C. "LEA" means a local education agency, including local school boards/public school districts, charter schools, and, for purposes of this rule, the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
D. "School-based enterprise" means businesses set up and run by supervised students learning to apply "practical" skills in the production of goods or services for sale or use by others.
E. "Work site" or "workplace" means the actual location where employment occurs for particular occupation(s), or an environment that simulates all aspects/elements of that employment, for instance school-based enterprises.
F. "Work-based learning" means activities that involve actual work experience or connect classroom learning to work.
A. This rule is authorized by Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3 which vests general control and supervision of public education in the Board; by Section 53A-29-102 which provides that the Board shall provide rules to schools wishing to offer and operate internships in connection with work experience and career exploration programs; and Section 53A-1-401(3) which allows the Board to adopt rules in accordance with its responsibilities.
B. The purpose of this rule is to provide direction to LEAs as they provide work-based learning programs and to establish criteria to be included in those polices.
A. Each LEA that has work-based learning programs that include assigning students to act as interns at off-campus sites or on-campus simulations shall establish a policy which provides procedures and criteria for at least the following issues:
(1) training for student interns, student intern supervisors, and cooperating employers regarding health hazards and safety procedures in the workplace;
(2) standards and procedures for approval of off-campus work sites;
(3) transportation options for students to and from the work site;
(4) appropriate supervision by employers at the work site;
(5) adequate insurance coverage provided and identified either by the student, the program or the LEA;
(6) appropriate supervision and evaluation of the student by the LEA; and
(7) appropriate involvement and approval by the student's parents in the work-based intern program.
A. The work-based intern experience shall be consistent with the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, Part 570, Subpart E, 29 C.F.R.
B. Work-based intern programs shall operate consistently with Board rules and LEA polices including student transportation, credit toward graduation, attendance, and fee waivers.
public schools, intern program*
March 12, 2012
February 2, 2012
Art X Sec 3; 53A-29-102; 53A-1-401(3)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.