Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since June 1, 2016, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R448. Health, Disease Control and Prevention, Medical Examiner.
Rule R448-10. Unattended Death and Reporting Requirements.
As in effect on June 1, 2016
Table of Contents
- R448-10-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R448-10-2. Death Under Physician's Care and Supervision.
- R448-10-3. Reporting Requirement.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is authorized by Utah Code Section 26-1-5. It clarifies the meaning of unattended death under the provisions of Utah Code Subsection 26-4-2(8) and the requirements of Utah Code Section 26-4-8.
For purposes of Utah Code Subsection 26-4-2(8), an individual whose care is directly supervised by a physician and who has been seen by a licensed nurse whose activity is directly supervised by the physician is deemed to have been seen by the physician within the scope of the physician's professional capacity.
(1) If a death occurs and the individual's care within 30 days prior to death was not directly supervised by a physician or if the individual was not seen by a licensed nurse whose activity is directly supervised by the individual's treating physician, then the death must be reported as required under Utah Code Section 26-4-8.
(2) All other deaths that meet the criteria in Utah Code Section 26-4-7, must be reported as required by Utah Code Section 26-4-8.
(3) As required by R432-750-29, a hospice is required to report all deaths supervised by the hospice if the death was a result from injury, accident, or other possible unnatural cause.
medical examiner, unattended death, reporting death
June 19, 2000
April 7, 2014
26-1-5; 26-4-2; 26-4-7; 26-4-8
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R448, please contact the promulgating agency (Health, Disease Control and Prevention, Medical Examiner). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.