Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since September 1, 2016, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R590. Insurance, Administration.
Rule R590-67. Proxy Solicitations and Consent and Authorization of Stockholders of Domestic Stock Insurers.
As in effect on September 1, 2016
Table of Contents
- R590-67-1. Authority.
- R590-67-2. Application of Rule.
- R590-67-3. Proxies, Consents and Authorizations.
- R590-67-4. Disclosure of Equivalent Information.
- R590-67-5. Definitions.
- R590-67-6. Information to be Furnished to Stockholders.
- R590-67-7. Requirements as to Proxy.
- R590-67-8. Material Required to be Filed.
- R590-67-9. False or Misleading Statements.
- R590-67-10. Prohibition of Certain Solicitations.
- R590-67-11. Special Provisions Applicable to Election Contests.
- R590-67-12. Separability.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is adopted pursuant to Subsection 31A-2-201(3) which authorizes rules to implement the Insurance Code.
This rule is applicable to all domestic stock insurers having 100 or more stockholders: provided, however, that this rule may not apply to any insurer if 95% or more of its stock is owned or controlled by a parent or an affiliated insurer and the remaining shares are held by fewer than 500 stockholders. A domestic stock insurer which files with the Securities and Exchange Commission forms of proxies, consents and authorizations complying with the requirements of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 and Rule X-14 of the Securities and Exchange Commission shall be exempt from the provisions of this rule.
No domestic stock insurer, or any director, office or employee of the insurer subject to Section 2, or any other person, may solicit, or permit the use of his name to solicit, by mail or otherwise, any proxy, consent or authorization of any stock of the insurer in contravention of this rule. The following documents are available from the Insurance Department:
A. "Proxy Form A", entitled "Information Required in Proxy Statement,"
B. "Proxy Form B", entitled "Information To Be Included in Statement Filed by or on Behalf of a Participant, Other Than the Insurer, In a Proxy Solicitation in an Election Contest."
Unless proxies, consents or authorizations of a stock of a domestic insurer subject to Section 3 of this rule are solicited by or on behalf of the management of the insurer from the holders of record of stock of the insurer in accordance with this rule and its schedules prior to any annual or other meeting, the insurer shall, in accordance with this rule or other rule, or both, as the commissioner may adopt, file with the commissioner and transmit to all stockholders of record, information substantially equivalent to the information which would be required to be transmitted if a solicitation were made.
A. The definitions and instructions set out in Schedule SIS, as promulgated by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, shall be applicable for purposes of this rule.
B. The terms "solicit" and "solicitation" for purposes of this rule shall include:
1. any request for a proxy, whether or not accompanied by or included in a form of proxy; or
2. any request to execute or not to execute, or to revoke, a proxy; or
3. the furnishing of a proxy or other communication to stockholders under circumstances reasonably calculated to result in the procurement, withholding or revocation of a proxy.
C. The terms "solicit" and "solicitation" may not include:
1. any solicitation by a person of a stock of which he is the beneficial owner;
2. action by a broker or other person in respect to stock carried in his name or in the name of his nominee in forwarding to the beneficial owner of the stock soliciting material received from the company, or impartially instructing the beneficial owner to forward a proxy to the person, if any, to whom the beneficial owner desires to give a proxy, or impartially requesting instructions from the beneficial owner with respect to the authority to be conferred by the proxy and stating that a proxy will be given if the instructions are received by a certain date; and
3. the furnishing of a form of proxy to a stockholder upon the unsolicited request of the stockholder, or the performance by any person of ministerial acts on behalf of a person soliciting a proxy.
A. No solicitation subject to this rule may be made unless each person solicited is concurrently furnished or has previously been furnished with a written proxy statement containing the information specified in Proxy Form.
B. If the solicitation is made on behalf of the management of the insurer and relates to an annual meeting of stockholders at which directors are to be elected, each proxy statement furnished pursuant to Subsection A of this section shall be accompanied or preceded by an annual report, in preliminary or final form, to the stockholders containing the financial statements for the last fiscal year as are referred to in Schedule SIS under the heading "Financial Reporting to Stockholders." Subject to the foregoing requirements with respect to financial statements, the annual report to stockholders may be in any form deemed suitable by the management.
C. Two copies of each report sent to the stockholders pursuant to this section shall be mailed to the commissioner not later than the date on which the report is first sent or given to stockholder or the date on which preliminary copies of solicitation material are filed with the commissioner pursuant to Subsection A of Section 8, whichever date is later.
A. The form of proxy:
1. shall indicate in boldface type whether or not the proxy is solicited on behalf of the management;
2. shall provide a specifically designated blank space for dating the proxy; and
3. shall identify clearly and impartially each matter or group of related matters intended to be acted upon, whether proposed by the management, or stockholders.
No reference need be made to proposals as to which discretionary authority is conferred pursuant to Subsection C of this section.
B. Means shall be provided in the proxy for the person solicited to specify by ballot a choice between approval or disapproval of each matter or group of related matters referred to in the proxy, other than elections to office. A proxy may confer discretionary authority with respect to matters where a choice is not so specified if the form of proxy states in boldface type how it is intended to vote the shares or authorization represented by the proxy in each case.
C. A proxy may confer discretionary authority with respect to other matters which may come before the meeting, provided the persons on whose behalf the solicitation is made are not aware a reasonable time prior to the time the solicitation is made that any other matters are to be presented for action at the meeting and provided further that a specific statement to that effect is made in the proxy statement or in the form of proxy.
D. No proxy may confer authority:
1. to vote for the election of any person to any office for which a bona fide nominee is not named in the proxy statement; or
2. to vote at any annual meeting other than the next annual meeting, or any adjournment of the annual meeting, to be held after the date on which the proxy statement and form of proxy are first sent or given to stockholders.
E. The proxy statement or form of proxy shall provide, subject to reasonable specified conditions, that the proxy will be voted and that where the person solicited specifies by means of ballot provided pursuant to Subsection B of this section, a choice with respect to any matter to be acted upon, the vote will be in accordance with the specifications so made.
F. The information included in the proxy statement shall be clearly presented and the statements made shall be divided into groups according to subject matter with appropriate headings. All printed proxy statements shall be clearly and legibly presented.
A. Two preliminary copies of the proxy statement and form of proxy and any other soliciting material to be furnished to stockholders concurrently shall be filed with the commissioner at least ten days prior to the date definitive copies of the material are first sent or given to stockholders, or the shorter period prior to that date as the commissioner may authorize upon a showing of good cause.
B. Two preliminary copies of any additional soliciting material relating to the same meeting or subject matter to be furnished to stockholders subsequent to the proxy statements shall be filed with the commissioner at least two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays or holidays, prior to the date copies of this material are first sent or given to stockholders or a shorter period prior to the date the commissioner may authorize upon a showing of good cause.
C. Two definitive copies of the proxy statement, form of proxy and all other soliciting material, in the form in which this material is furnished to stockholders, shall be filed with, or mailed for filing to, the commissioner not later than the date the material is first sent or given to the stockholders.
D. Where any proxy statement, form of proxy or other material filed pursuant to these rules is amended or revised, two of the copies shall be marked to clearly show the changes.
E. Copies of replies to inquiries from stockholders requesting further information and copies of communications, which do no more than request that forms of proxy solicited be signed and returned, need not be filed pursuant to this section.
F. Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsections A and B of this section and of Subsection E of Section 11, copies of soliciting material in the form of speeches, press releases and radio or television scripts may, but need not, be filed with the commissioner prior to use or publication. Definitive copies shall be filed with or mailed for filing to the commissioner as required by Subsection C of this section, not later than the date the material issued or published. The provisions of Subsections A and B of this section and Subsection E of Section 11 shall apply to any reprints or reproductions of all or any part of the material.
No solicitation subject to this rule shall be made by means of any proxy statement, form of proxy, notice of meeting, or other communication, written or oral, containing any statement which at the time and in the light of the circumstances under which it is made, is false or misleading with respect to any material fact, or which omits to state any material fact necessary in order to make the statements in the solicitation not false or misleading or necessary to correct any statement in any earlier communication with respect to the solicitation of a proxy for the same meeting or subject matter which has become false or misleading.
No person making a solicitation which is subject to this rule may solicit any undated or postdated proxy or any proxy which provides that it shall be deemed to be dated as of any date subsequent to the date on which it is signed by the stockholder.
A. Applicability. This section shall apply to any solicitation to this rule by any person or group for the purpose of opposing a solicitation subject to this rule by any other person or group with respect to the election or removal of directors at any annual or special meeting of stockholders.
B. Participant or Participant in a Solicitation.
1. For purposes of this section the term "participant" and "participant in a solicitation" include:
(a) the insurer;
(b) any director of the insurer, and any nominee for whose election as a director proxies are solicited; and
(c) any other person, acting alone or with one or more other persons, committees or groups, in organizing, directing or financing the solicitation.
2. For the purposes of this section the terms "participant" and "participant in a solicitation" do not include:
(a) a bank, broker or dealer who, in the ordinary course of business, lends money or executes orders for the purchase or sale of stock and who is not otherwise a participant;
(b) any person or organization retained or employed by a participant to solicit stockholders or any person who merely transmits proxy soliciting material or performs ministerial or clerical duties;
(c) any person employed in the capacity of attorney, accountant, or advertising, public relations or financial adviser, and whose activities are limited to the performance of his duties in the course of employment;
(d) any person regularly employed as an officer or employee of the insurer or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates whose is not otherwise a participant; or
(e) any officer or director of, or any person regularly employed by any other participant, if the officer, director, or employee is not otherwise a participant.
C. Filing of Information Required by Proxy Form.
1. No solicitation subject to this section may be made by any person other than the management of an insurer unless at least five business days prior to, or a shorter period as the commissioner may authorize upon showing of good cause, there has been filed with the commissioner, by or on behalf of each participant in the solicitation, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified by Proxy Form and a copy of any material proposed to be distributed to stockholders in furtherance of the solicitation. Where preliminary copies of any materials are filed, distribution to stockholders should be deferred until the commissioner's comments have been received and complied with.
2. Within five business days after a solicitation subject to this section is made by the management of an insurer, or longer period as the commissioner may authorize upon a showing of good cause, there shall be filed with the commissioner by or on behalf of each participant in the solicitation, other than the insurer, and by or on behalf of each management nominee for director, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified by Proxy Form.
3. If any solicitation on behalf of management or any other person has been made, or if proxy material is ready for distribution, prior to a solicitation subject to this section in opposition to it, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified in Proxy Form shall be filed with the commissioner by or on behalf of each participant in the prior solicitation, other than the insurer, as soon as reasonably practicable after the commencement of the solicitation in opposition to it.
4. If, subsequent to the filing of the statements required by Subsections A, B, and C of this section, additional persons become participants in a solicitation subject to this rule, there shall be filed with the commissioner, by or on behalf of each person, a statement in duplicate containing the information specified by Proxy Form, within three business days after the person becomes a participant, or the longer period as the Department may authorize upon a showing of good cause.
5. If any material change occurs in the facts reported in any statement filed by or on behalf of any participant, an appropriate amendment to the statement shall be filed promptly with the commissioner.
6. Each statement and amendment filed pursuant to this paragraph shall be part of the public files of the commissioner.
D. Solicitations Prior to Furnishing Required Written Proxy Statement.
Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection A of Section 6, a solicitation subject to this section may be made prior to furnishing stockholders a written proxy statement containing the information specified in Proxy Form with respect to the solicitation, provided that:
1. the statements required by Subsection C of this section are filed by or on behalf of each participant in the solicitation;
2. no form of proxy is furnished to stockholders prior to the time the written proxy statement required by Subsection A of Section 6 is furnished to the persons provided that Subsection B of this section may not apply where a proxy statement then meeting the requirements of Proxy Form has been furnished to stockholders;
3. the information specified in Subsection 2 and 3 of C of this section, of the statements required by Subsection C of this section to be filed by each participant, or an appropriate summary of it, are included in each communication sent or given to stockholders in connection with the solicitation; and
4. a written proxy statement containing the information specified in Proxy Form with respect to a solicitation is sent or given stockholders at the earliest practicable date.
E. Solicitations Prior to Furnishing Required Written Proxy Statement - Filing Requirements.
Two copies of any soliciting material proposed to be sent or given to stockholders prior to the furnishing of the written proxy statement required by Subsection A of Section 6 shall be filed with the commissioner in preliminary form at least five business days prior to the date definitive copies of the material are first sent or given to the persons, or shorter period as the commissioner may authorize upon a showing of good cause.
F. Application of This Section to Report.
Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsections B and C of Section 6, two copies of any portion of the report referred to in subsection two of section five which comments upon or refers to any solicitation subject to this section, or to any participant in any solicitation subject to this section, or to any participant in any solicitation, other than the solicitation by the management, shall be filed with the commissioner in preliminary form at least five business days prior to the date copies of the report are first sent or given to stockholders.
If any provision of this rule or the application of it to any person or circumstance is for any reason held to be invalid, the remainder of the rule and the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances may not be affected.
August 29, 2014
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R590, please contact the promulgating agency (Insurance, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.