Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2014, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R590. Insurance, Administration.
Rule R590-267. Personal Injury Protection Relative Value Study Rule.
As in effect on October 1, 2014
Table of Contents
- R590-267-1. Authority.
- R590-267-2. Purpose.
- R590-267-3. Scope.
- R590-267-4. Definitions.
- R590-267-5. Conversion Factors.
- R590-267-6. Fee Schedule.
- R590-267-7. Penalties.
- R590-267-8. Enforcement Date.
- R590-267-9. Severability.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is promulgated by the insurance commissioner pursuant to Sections 31A-2-201(3), and 31A-22- 307(2).
(1) The purpose of this rule is to establish a reasonable value of services and accommodations for the diagnosis, care, recovery, or rehabilitation of an injured person under automobile personal injury protection coverage as described in 31A-22-307(1)(a).
(2) As required by 31A-22-307(2), the reasonable value is based on the 75th percentile of medical, dental, and chiropractic charges, as they presently exist in the most populous county in this State.
This rule applies to services and accommodations:
(1) provided under automobile personal injury protection coverage as described in 31A-22-307(1)(a); and
(2) provided on or after January 1, 2014.
(1) As used in this rule "Conversion Factor" means a multiplier used to convert the relative value unit or units of a service or a procedure to a reimbursement rate.
(2) As used in this rule "RVD" means 2013 Edition of the Relative Values for Dentists published by Relative Values Studies, Inc., 12301 N. Grant St., Suite 230, Thornton, CO, 80241; phone: (866) 310-7874; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.rvsdata.com.
(3) As used in this rule "RVP" means 2013 Edition of the Relative Values for Physicians published by OptumInsight, 2525 Lake Park Blvd., Salt Lake City, UT 84120; phone: (800) 464-3649; email: email@example.com; website: www.optum.com.
(4) As used in this rule "Relative Value Unit" means a numerical value assigned to a medical or dental procedure as published in RVP and RVD respectively.
(5) The publications identified in Subsections R590-267-4.(2) and (3) are hereby incorporated by reference within this rule.
(1) The following conversion factors shall be used to determine the reasonable value of medical services or accommodations:
(a) anesthesia, 91.57;
(b) surgery, 180.00;
(c) radiology, 35.18;
(d) pathology, 23.85;
(e) medicine, 10.87;
(f) evaluation and management, 11.85.
(2) The conversion factor used to determine the reasonable value of dental services or accommodations shall be 55.00.
The reasonable value of any service or accommodation shall be calculated by multiplying the relative value unit assign to the service or accommodation by the applicable conversion factor prescribed in R590-267-5.
A person found to be in violation of this rule shall be subject to penalties as provided under Section 31A-2-308.
The commissioner will begin enforcing the provisions of this rule on January 1, 2014.
If any provision of this rule or its application to any person or situation is held to be invalid, that invalidity shall not affect any other provision or application of this rule which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this rule are declared to be severable.
relative value study
November 18, 2013
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R590, please contact the promulgating agency (Insurance, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.