Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since April 1, 2013, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R592. Insurance, Title and Escrow Commission.
Rule R592-11. Title Insurance Producer Annual and Controlled Business Reports.
As in effect on April 1, 2013
Table of Contents
- R592-11-1. Authority.
- R592-11-2. Purpose and Scope.
- R592-11-3. Definition.
- R592-11-4. Title Insurance Producer Annual Report.
- R592-11-5. Controlled Business Report.
- R592-11-6. Electronic Filing of Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and Controlled Business Report.
- R592-11-7. Penalties.
- R592-11-8. Enforcement Date.
- R592-11-9. Severability.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is promulgated pursuant to:
(1) Section 31A-2-404(2)(a), which requires the Title and Escrow Commission (Commission) to make rules related to title insurance;
(2) Section 31A-23a-413, which requires the annual filing of a report by each title insurance producer, as defined in R592-11-3, containing a verified statement of the producer's financial condition, transactions, and affairs; and
(3) Subsection 31A-23a-503(8), which requires the annual filing of a controlled business report.
(1) The purpose of this rule is to establish the form and filing deadline for the Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and Controlled Business Report required by Section 31A-23a-413 and Subsection 31A-23a-503(8)(a).
(2) This rule applies to all title insurance producers as defined in R592-11-3.
For the purpose of this rule the Commission adopts the definitions as set forth in Sections 31A-1-301 and 31A-2-402 and the following:
(1) "Title insurance producer" includes:
(a) a title insurance agency as defined in 31A-1-301(6);
(b) an individual title producer not designated to a title insurance agency; and
(c) an attorney licensed to practice law in Utah who is also an individual title producer not designated to a title insurance agency.
(1) Title insurance producers, as defined in R592-11-3, shall file a Title Insurance Producer Annual Report containing the information shown in subsection 2 below.
(2) A Title Insurance Producer Annual Report shall consist of:
(a) a balance sheet and an income and expense statement prepared and presented in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles;
(b) the name and address of each financial institution where a title or escrow trust account is maintained;
(c) unless the producer is an attorney exempted under 31A-23a-204(8), proof of financial protection that complies with Subsection 31A-23a-204(2) consisting of one or more of the following:
(i) a copy of the declarations page of a fidelity bond;
(ii) a copy of the declarations page of a professional liability insurance policy; or
(iii) a copy of the commissioner's approval of equivalent financial protection; and approved by the commissioner;
(d) the name, address, and percentage of ownership of each owner.
(3) A title insurance producer, as defined in R592-11-3, shall file a Title Insurance Producer Annual Report not later than April 30 of each year.
(4) The Title Insurance Producer Annual Report period shall be the preceding calendar year.
(5) A Title Insurance Producer Annual Report will be considered protected data if the producer submitting the report requests classification as a protected record in accordance with Sections 63G-2-305 and 63G-2-309.
(1) A title insurance producer, as defined in R592-11-3, shall file an annual Controlled Business Report not later than April 30 of each year.
(2) The Controlled Business Report period shall be the preceding calendar year and shall contain the information required in Subsection 31A-23a-503(8)(a).
(3) A Controlled Business Report is a public record upon filing.
R592-11-6. Electronic Filing of Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and Controlled Business Report.
(1) The Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and the Controlled Business Report shall be submitted together electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) The Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and the Controlled Business Report shall be submitted not later than April 30 of each year as attachments to the Title Insurance Agency Annual Reports Transmittal Form.
(3) The following report forms, which are available on the department's website, shall be used to submit the Title Insurance Producer Annual Report and the Controlled Business Report:
(a) Title Insurance Producer Annual and Controlled Business Reports Transmittal form; and
(b) Controlled Business Report form.
(4) Actual copies of the forms may be used or may be adapted to a particular word processing system, however, if adapted, the content, size, font, and format shall be similar.
A person found to be in violation of this rule shall be subject to penalties as provided under Section 31A-2-308.
The commissioner will begin enforcing this rule 5 days from the rule's effective date.
If any provision or clause of this rule or its application to any person or situation is held invalid, that invalidity shall not affect any other provision or application of this rule which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this rule are declared to be severable.
May 19, 2009
June 15, 2011
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R592, please contact the promulgating agency (Insurance, Title and Escrow Commission). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.